Please read the following before submitting the request:
Who is a valid user of the free version of WDSS-II?
When you write proposals that will make use of WDSS-II, please
budget some funding for us to continue to create algorithms and
- Students pursuing a degree at an accredited university who need
to use this software for their research.
- Educators in their classroom and laboratories. (If you will get
funding for creating new courses, please consider supporting our work).
- Employees of non-profit institutions involved in research.
Please contact us so that we can discuss an
appropriate level of funding.
What can valid users do with this software?
- Conduct research studies.
- Build new algorithms using the WDSS-II API.
- Visualize data sets.
If you design a new algorithm using the WDSS-II API, we want to hear
What can you not do with this software?
If you do not see your potential use of WDSS-II in the above lists,
please contact us. Don't assume it's okay to just do it
- Run it operationally.
- Distribute weather warnings or make weather forecasts or
decisions based on this software.
- Run it real-time.
- Redistribute the software.
- Make commercial use of the software.
restrictions are in place because WDSS-II is licensed for real-time operational
use to private companies by the University of Oklahoma.
Referencing WDSS-II in publications
If you use the WDSS-II software for research, please reference:
V., T. Smith, G. J. Stumpf, and K. Hondl, 2007: The
warning decision support system - integrated information (WDSS-II). Weather
and Forecasting, 22, No. 3, 592-608.
Please also see the more complete list of papers
including papers for the individual algorithms.
WDSS-II Download Request
Kiel Ortega for the research/evaluation version
of WDSS-II, or authorization extension files for current WDSS-II users.